Saturday, December 6, 2014

Using Technical Preview instead of regular Windows...

When we sign into this testing program, we're cautioned that this is 'early days' in its development, and we shouldn't put this on our normal everyday computer and we shouldn't use it as our everyday operating system. 

Before I installed this, I made a new partition on a drive which already had both Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8 Pro on it. When Technical Preview installs, if it is on a multi-boot drive like mine, it takes over command of the Boot Sector, because it needs to be in control of frequent updates and feedback, and that may be why we're told not to use it for everyday computing. 

However, how am I going to discover whether or not it performs satisfactorily if I don't give it a thorough "road test" under actual real-life driving conditions, so to speak? And I'm a tinkerer, remember? So I want to be using it if I think of something to tinker with, or find something that needs some further tweaking, so that I have the Feedback feature available, and I can send screenshots of whatever may be a suggestion or problem.

"So how's all that going for you?" you ask. Very well, thanks. It's nearly three weeks now (in two more days) since I've installed this, and I'm using it every day just like I would my Windows 8 Pro or my Windows 7, or my PC-BSD on the other PC, and I've fluffed it up with several additional programs, and extra Themes, and the gadgets from 8GadgetPack, and my own icons, and it is accepting all that and running like a charm. This is obviously the grandchild of Windows 7, which was a great program ever since its first couple of builds saw the light of day back in 2009. If this continues the way it's going, I have a feeling we're looking at another winner, like Windows 7 has become. And speaking of Windows 7, it's still the most popular of any version to date. And I like to think that's because a lot of us tested it, and sent in our feedback on our likes, dislikes, problems, and suggestions. "Two heads are better than one"...and Windows 7 proves that. I'm hoping Windows Ten does it again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment