Friday, December 5, 2014

Windows Technical Preview: Changing system icons...


If you're a dedicated tinkerer like me, you can also change some of the system's icons, if you have others to replace them. Open your Personalization window, by right-clicking on the Desktop, and choosing the bottom item of the dropdown, "Personalize". In the upper left margin of the main window, you'll see three entries, and the middle one says "Change desktop icons". When you click those words ( which are actually a live link) it opens that little window shown on top of the larger main one. There, you can change those icons shown inside the central box, as I have done with three of them. 

And if you look at my Taskbar in this screenshot, you'll notice I've also changed that generic folder-thingy icon for File Explorer, to one of a two-drawer filing cabinet, with both its drawers open (quit snickering, you guys!) and I think it represents the concept of a "File Explorer" better than just a file folder image. Can I have a show of hands, please? All in favor of asking for this new icon raise your hands and say 'Yes!'.......  (I told you I love to tinker!) 

"And where do I get icons to replace those with?" you ask. With IcoFX, of course... and there's a free 30-day trial version you can play with while you decide if you'd like to keep it. (It's habit-forming!) You can make your own icons in no time at all from almost any image you choose - but keep it simple, because not everything looks its best when shrunk to the size of an icon. (And I wouldn't touch that line for twenty bucks!) - So give it a try. IcoFX, I mean.


No comments:

Post a Comment