Friday, December 5, 2014

Windows Technical Preview: Housecleaning!


Please note the three additional icons, upper left on the screen. If you create these shortcuts to your User's Temp, Windows Temp, and Windows Prefetch,  you can dump the garbage regularly, and remove the relentlessly accumulating junk files in these three places. Temp folders of course contain temporary files, so there shouldn't be anything lastingly required in them. The Prefetch, which gives special priority to regularly-used items is automatically regenerated upon rebooting, and Microsoft says we don't need to clean it out. But it really does build up a collection of only-occasionally-used items, rather than regular essentials, over the course of days and weeks - so it does help your booting times if you keep it pared down to its "fighting weight" and free of junk.

Too many icons on the desktop? See that one marked "Shortcuts"? That's for a folder in my User's folders, where I keep a vast and colorful collection of useful shortcuts to anything that grabs my fancy. You can make one of those too. When I'm done doing this blurb, I'll move those three new ones in there, where they're handy but out of the way.


This is my Shortcuts folder.

1 comment:

  1. Nice post, House cleaning is a way of residential cleaning , and residential cleaning is so important as commercial , I have find out the cleaning company about all my needs and requirements and i think this should be referred as Executive Cleaning Edmonton

    ReplyDelete