Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Here's why you need good Security on your computer...

Lately, I've been looking for a program to help me make a DVD that would play on a stand-alone DVD Player, like the one connected to my TV. I haven't been all that lucky doing this. Today, I found a program that sounds promising, but it just happens to be distributed by an outfit called ClientConnect Ltd., which is the latest incarnation of the 'Potentially Unwanted Program' Conduit, and in turn is being distributed by something called Trovi.com.

To get the program I wanted, I had to agree to accept the bloatware which would switch my search and home page to ones of their choice, and then I could remove those later, they said. It's what they didn't say that's interesting....

As soon as I downloaded the program I wanted, I noticed that both cores of the processor were at 100% on the graph, and that's unusual, especially when it showed no sign of returning to normal. I ran a scan with Malwarebytes, and it found 4 Trojans and that PUP (Potentially Unwanted Program) that were not there just before the download, when I did a regular daily scan. And that's why these things are called 'potentially unwanted programs'.


So I got the program I wanted, and it's now free of malware, but it took a little more work than I'd expected. Fortunately, I have more than one security program watching the system, and this is a good example of 'Why?'

No comments:

Post a Comment