Friday, January 2, 2015

Using Win-8? Tired of those nags about Win-8.1? Read on...

Today is January 2nd, the very thing I ask for each Christmas, and once again, I've been lucky and received it just as I hoped, and it's wonderful, especially when you're 82! Our resident billionaire, up the hill in the high rent district, has finally extinguished those gawd-awful glaring Christmas lights illuminating his sprawling mansion in red and white, with that huge Star of Bethlehem on a tall pole near one end of the place, implying that he's somehow God's Chosen Answer To The Unwashed Masses. God and I had a little chat about that the other night, and it turns out our billionaire is so full of it, his ears are turning brown. But I'm digressing again... sorry about that. Now, about that Windows nag....


There's two things you can do. You can hack the Registry, as follows:-
Navigate to HKLM\System\Setup\UpgradeNotification, (in the left column) and after highlighting UpgradeNotification, look in the right-hand column for a value called UpgradeAvailable. Right-click that to get "Modify" and change its value from 1 to 0, and then exit the Registry.... or, you can go into Windows Updates, and simply remove Update KB2885699. I believe in 'overkill' because I've hated that nag with a passion for too long, so I did both of these. If the nag comes back now, I think I'll just throw my computer out this 16th floor window to show it what real windows can do. 

 
But seriously, Folks - there really should have been a button included with that nag to say "No Thanks" or "Not Interested" or "Please Stop This Reminder!" and it was quite thoughtless of Mighty Microsoft to simply grab our arms and start twisting, to force us to upgrade when we aren't ready, or aren't convinced we should, or have already installed Windows 8.1 on another partition here, and don't really need two of them. And therein lies a tale. Please read on...

I've tried being co-operative with that nag several times, and several times, it tied up my computer for "30 to 45 minutes" trying valiantly to upgrade me to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8 Pro, and then right at the very end where it says "Getting Things Ready..." it suddenly would switch to saying "Sorry, we were unable to complete the upgrade and are restoring your previous system..." And I'm thinking....(I'd better not tell you!!)... and so one day, after I resisted the urge to throw the computer out the window, I thought "I wonder if I got the ISO file and made a DVD of it, and used that instead, would that be more successful?" So I did that, and the answer is "Yes! It is more successful." And I already have Windows 8.1 Pro installed on here in another partition, so I really, really don't need that nag about Windows Store and Upgrading to 8.1.

And I fervently hope everyone at Mighty Microsoft reads this, even if they have to move their lips while doing so. I have Windows 8.1, Windows 8, and Windows 7 on this drive, and they're all mine, and they're all working, and they're all legitimate Microsoft issues with Key Codes and everything, so please stop twisting my wrinkled old arm!

No comments:

Post a Comment