Sunday, January 25, 2015

Windows Insiders: Installing Windows 10 on multi-boot systems...


If you have a multiple-boot or dual-boot hard-drive, you must be logged into the partition (O/S) that you wish to replace, before you start to install Windows 10 Technical Preview, because, unlike some previous beta versions, this will not show you a screen on which you can choose which partition you wish to have the new system installed into. It replaces whatever O/S you are using when you begin the installation. And afterward, it will still be showing that system's name in the Disk Management window instead of its own. So you should probably download EasyBCD 2.2 so that you can correct that.

And if you like tweaking things, you should probably go into Control Panel, to Programs and Features, and open "Turn on Windows features" and then check the first item, ".NET Framework 3.5 and 2.0 and 3.0" because some older tweaking programs will need it, such as Ultimate Windows Tweaker for removing those ugly arrows from desktop shortcuts.


And now, if you'll excuse me, I'll get back to fluffing up Build 9926 to make it a bit more comfortable to use. How do I like it so far? Better than 9879 for sure, but ask me after I've installed a few more of my favorite programs and used it for a while... I'm hoping it's a winner, because I wiped out my treasured old Windows 7 to put it on here. But back in 2009, that's how all this began, when I started testing Windows 7 beta. If this can match that, we've got a winner!


Here's why it might be nice if we were asked where we would like the install to go - just so it got to the partition we wanted it on, rather than elsewhere. I was lucky, and outguessed it this time, but it could easily have gone wrong and wiped out something I planned to keep.

No comments:

Post a Comment