Monday, February 16, 2015

Facebook and what works there...



Maybe, this is true on Facebook, but photos and videos still are attention grabbers on Blogger here, where I like to do my thing. I have a Facebook page, but almost nobody goes there, including me. I can't do much in two or three pithy lines of punched-up prose. I wore that idea out back in the nineties while sending daily faxes to Dear Editor at the local rag, while we were laying the groundwork for turfing out a corrupt provincial government. It worked out very well, too. With my smart remarks, and Dear Editor's reach we did it, and after the government changed, I got a nice 'thank you' from the new Premier's Communications Manager. That new Premier stayed in office for three terms, which is practically unheard-of around here.

I don't have many followers on Facebook, but I have readers all over the world checking my blog every day. I have a Google Translate gadget on here at the top of the right margin, and anyone can pick their own language to read this. 


This is the 'top ten' countries where my readers are this morning, and I welcome all of you. And I would like to add that Facebook doesn't do this. It just wants to collect personal information on you and your friends for advertising purposes, and it seems to be mostly a 'mutual admiration society'. There are some 'deep thinkers' on there, but they're swimming in the shallow end of the gene pool. And if Pascal in Lebanon or Monsieur Beep in Germany are reading this, please comment!


1 comment:

  1. Nothing goes unnoticed even if it takes me a while to notice your older post, haha.
    That´s correct: Facebook is shallow, not for deep thinkers. In fact, especially comments on posts of public institutions like tv-stations are often are tasteless and rude.
    I once wanted to leave fb for this reason, but now I´ve come to terms with it: I simply don´t read that scrap any longer.

    I have a few valued friends on facebook, I wouldn´t want to miss fb, although it´s based on advertising.
    But as long as institutions like eg the church don´t manage to set up such a social media place for people to meet, I´ll stick to comercial fb.

    You might find me there, my name there is "Paco Cortegiano", and I mainly post photos. I´ve also remet there friends from real life which I had seen in a long time because they moved to a different place.



    ReplyDelete