Monday, April 6, 2015

For readers of my April 2 blog about cancer...

For those who may want more information about the treatment procedure and preparations for it, I've explained it more fully in an additional part of that.

And one thing I should add to it is that to receive this procedure, there's some conditions to be met, one of the most important being that your PSA reading (prostate specific antigen) should be below "20". This procedure is intended for early-stage prostate cancer which is still completely confined within the prostate gland. It is an alternative to surgical removal of the gland, with its usual problems afterward. If not all of those conditions can be met, then another type of procedure is indicated. (Please see the blog post of April 2 for more on this.) 
There's more very useful information in The Merck Manual, Home Health Handbook, if you'd like to read something authoritative about this topic.  

I'm going to add something else here, which probably won't be well received by a local urologist who was seeing me prior to my initial contact directly with the local Canadian Cancer Society Cancer Clinic. 

When my PSA reading began climbing from around six to the mid-teens and I began worrying about it, while this urologist had me on what's known as the "watch and wait" plan, meaning basically doing nothing until it gets really serious, I asked him if he had a "Plan B" for this. He gave me a blank look, and then said, "I'm a surgeon, and you're too old for surgery." I'm thinking, "God! what a bedside manner this guy's got!" but I'm saying, "Can you give me a referral to the Cancer Society's downtown clinic, please?" And he replied, "Yes, I can. We will call you with the appointment details." That was the last time I ever saw that urologist. 

As soon as I got to the Cancer Clinic, things began happening, and I began receiving treatment which was very successful. I really believe Doctor Mira Keyes and her staff saved my life, and as an insufficient way of expressing my gratitude, I donate $100.00 monthly to our Canadian Cancer Society. Dr. Keyes said, "You don't have to do that, you know..." And I replied, "Yes, My Dear, I do have to do that. It's the least I can do." 

No comments:

Post a Comment