Tuesday, April 7, 2015

The lights are out, but I can hear someone cussing in there....



As a retiree from the Operations Department of B.C. Hydro, our provincial electrical utility, may I remind us of our motto: "Live Better Electrically - Carry A Flashlight." It worked for me. And maybe they should have kept Yankee Atomic Electric going. One of the engineers who built that was an old fishing buddy of mine when I worked for Great Lakes Power Company in Ontario back in the 1960s. We compared our power systems, caught some nice fish, and told a lot of lies about how big they were. Like the time a big northern pike was being reeled in through the foam below a rapids at the head of the storage lake, and when its head came up out of the foam, my buddy grabbed his belt knife and promptly cut the line. I asked, "What the hell did you do that for?" And he said, "That thing was five inches between the eyes, and God knows how long. There's no way I want that smacking its tail under my seat for thirty miles back to the settlement from here."   Tourists! Bah!

No comments:

Post a Comment