Sunday, May 31, 2015

Windows 10: Make a Desktop Shortcut to Registry Editor


I save a lot of screenshots, so I'm constantly going into Regedit to reset their counter after I delete the latest batch to make more room in the folder.

You make the shortcut in the usual way, right-clicking on the Desktop in an open space, selecting 'New' and then 'Shortcut', and when the little window opens, asking the location you need to fill in, this is where you need to be careful, because it isn't called 'Regedit' or even 'Regedit32' - they've left out one letter in that latter name, just to throw us off. So the spelling is critical, and it goes like this: 'Regedt32.exe', so in the location box of the little window, type in: C:\Windows\System32\Regedt32.exe and then continue on, to give it a name in the next little window. When I did all this, the blank generic icon that was there changed to this one shown and I kept this abbreviated name of it which Windows provided.

No comments:

Post a Comment