Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Windows 10: Speech Recognition and Cortana

Here's where I get 'bitchy'. There's evidently no way to turn off Speech Recognition in Windows 10, and you can't tell Cortana to "Shut the fuck up!" because it then does a web search for that term. Wonderful!

And Cortana has no voice of its own like it's widely hyped to have, because I'm apparently outside "the zone". So if it can only understand some of what I'm asking, such as "Open Control Panel" to which it responds by doing yet another web search for that term, instead of just showing me the Control Panel's window of items, I have to wonder what the hell is it there for? When I'm trying to get something done, I don't want distractions (other than Jazz24!) I just want to get on with it.

So here's the thing: Cortana has the potential to be a real ass-kicker, but so far it's only half-assed. If you're going to make it available at all, and you're going to be touting it as the next greatest thing since Sliced Bread, then either give us the whole magilla or nothing, because in this case, half a loaf is NOT better than none at all. Trust me - would I lie to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment