Sunday, June 14, 2015

In the previous posting, what am I crying about?

OK - I'm going to try to show you, and this won't be easy, because the PC with the 64-bit Win-10 on it isn't co-operating very well, as you're about to see.....


I had to take this photo of the screen, because I can't take a screenshot of it until I clear this mess off it. I had just taken a screenshot, which is normally filed within my "Pictures" folder in a folder called "Screenshots", and I was trying to access that "Screenshots" folder when this shit popped up. And as you see, the error notice contains a file name with a double reference to something it calls "ray79" which is presumably the user name it knows me by - a user name I might add that I wasn't given an opportunity to choose for myself. It just comes with the program, and is derived from the first part of my Microsoft Account login. When I create a personal user name, it's just plain "Ray".

Naturally, the system can't find a folder with the file name shown in the error box, because that file path is totally incorrect by reason of that double use of
the folder name "ray79".  And that window the error message is immediately above, titled "File Upload", is obviously indicating that Windows was trying to send all that to its cloud storage, which is something I hadn't asked it to do.
In fact, setting up the system, I specifically recall selecting NOT to use cloud storage, but to file everything on this computer as default.


Also, on that same PC, (not this one I'm using here) I was getting spurious or unwanted icon appearances, popping up unexpectedly on the desktop, and I couldn't delete it, because it said it was a "system file" and therefore had no provisions for deleting it. I could go into its "properties" and choose to hide it,
but I couldn't remove it. It didn't finally leave until I did that procedure shown in the above screenshot:- Go into Control Panel to "File Explorer Options" and in its little window, in the bottom section "Privacy" remove the checks from the boxes of both items there, and then clear History, and "Apply" plus "OK".

I probably got into this whole mess because of "Pilot Error" - my own mistakes - but (and this isn't an excuse!) it's easy to make mistakes setting things up in Windows 10, because it's a significant departure from former systems. It has that cloud storage, and it has a lot of other cute and sometimes handy features that are not well explained, if at all, and which even experienced users will sometimes find confusing, or even unnecessary. Windows 10 has a lot of features I like, but it also has some I'd like to scrap, but can't, because if I do, it will "break the program".

And as I'm sure you'd agree, we aren't looking for more complications in our daily routines. We want something that's intuitive, user-friendly, and doesn't side-track us from our main objective while we're trying to use it. And we're almost at the end of a nine-month gestation period, and the "baby" seems  insufficiently developed for this late stage in the pregnancy. Or am I just expecting too much? They say "You get what you pay for" and this one's been advertised far and wide as a "freebie" - so is that all it's worth? Is this a huge exercise in frustration? Or is it just me?

While I've been writing this on the 32-bit version of Win-10 on my #2 PC, I've been running DISM and SFC on that 64-bit version of Win-10 on #1 PC, and the results of that are: DISM couldn't do its thing, because the Remote Procedure Call failed to connect it with Mother Microsoft's reference Source files, and the SFC found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. So it wasn't cleaned up, as I'd hoped. And that's something else that should be working by now, I would expect. Color me "disappointed". I've been on this buggy-ride since last November, and I'd hoped we'd be at a more polished and smoother-running stage by now. I don't think we're there yet.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment