Sunday, June 14, 2015

Windows 10, Continued:-


I am nothing if not persistent, so here we go again; I'm getting a fresh copy of Build 10130, x64, right from the assembly line, and as you see, it's downloading on the other PC as I write this. 

I couldn't sort out the mix-ups in shortcuts-as-opposed-to-real-files with the other copy, so I used EasyBCD and Easeus Partition Master to rename (removed the name, actually) and then re-format that partition, ready for a clean install. And because I felt like smashing something, I satisfied that urge by taking the DVD of that copy, and cutting it in two, before throwing it in the wastebasket.

And from all this experience, I must confess that I'm learning things - not about Windows 10, but about me. My earlier difficulties probably weren't as much to do with Windows 10 as they were with me and my urges to "improve" things. I love tinkering with shortcuts, and the icons for them. But sometimes, if I'm overtired, or not paying enough attention, I get "carried away" and end up with shortcuts for the shortcuts, and then, as I've recently discovered, it all gets very messy, and weird pop-ups with cryptic messages appear out of nowhere, and I learn new cusswords while trying unsuccessfully to banish those to the big Recycle Bin in Cyberspace.

To summarize: "There's no fool like an Old Fool, because you just can't beat all this experience!"

And speaking as my alter ego, "Dr. Sutton, Amateur Traveling Psychiatrist", if we connect the dots here, we're going to discover that I'm just like too many of the rest of you, when it comes to making mistakes. I am most reluctant to admit that any of it is my own fault, if there's any way that I can twist things around to make it seem like it's all some other's doing, and I'm just a sweet, innocent victim struck down from behind by the heavy traffic on the Road of Life..... roadkill..... And all along, it was me who engineered the disaster, and then, because I think I'm so smart, tried to avoid admitting it because the embarrassment would obviously mortally wound my pride. And make it damned difficult for me to claim I know my ass from my elbow without taking three more night school courses.


So I fervently hope Satya and the gang at Mighty Microsoft forgive this Old Fool for being a "slow learner".... My excuse is, "Old habits die hard, and too slowly". And now, if you'll excuse me, I have to make a fresh DVD of Build 10130 and get it re-installed on PC-01, because when the final version does see the light of day out here among the unwashed masses, I want a 64-bit version on there, and then I can eliminate one of the other two partitions, and merge it into the one on which I have Windows 10, so it will have more room, and I'll have one less operating system to update, scan, tinker with, and cuss at. Get the picture?

No comments:

Post a Comment