Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Today, it's "Whatever happened to PCBSD and its Partition?"

First, some clues, Sherlock.....


Sometimes, I'm not half as smart a "smartass" as I thought I was, and that new PCBSD system turns out to have the same old problem as its predecessors: the Grub Bootloader doesn't recognize Windows Partitions, contrary to what they assure you in their copious notes on the care and feeding of their baby. So on a PC with three operating systems, I got reduced to one in a hell of a rush.

So I got busy with Easeus Partition Manager, and EasyBCD, and did a little work on the old hard-drive. I wiped and re-formatted the partition with the PCBSD on it, then merged that into the one with the boot sector, Windows 8.1 x64, and then defragmented everything, and re-arranged the boot menu with EasyBCD to remove that third partition, and show only the two remaining ones now sharing the drive. That unallocated 451 Mb forming a Neutral Zone in the middle once had a small Recovery sector on it, but that didn't work very well either, so I scrubbed that off while I was at it. Life Simplified. 


And then I used Windows Powershell in Admin mode to restore the Graphical User Interface to the Boot Manager screen, by typing, at the cursor, as follows:
BCDBoot(one space here)C:\Windows and then press Enter. Wait for it to do its thing, and tell you it was successful, and then type Exit at the cursor, and you're out of there...blissfully free of a whole bunch of thorny frustrations. Life is Good!

And while I'm showing a screenshot of Disk Management up top, I may as well throw in one of the same page on my slightly-older PC - the one I got with Windows (Ugh!) Vista on it, just a couple of months before we began testing Windows 7 back when. With a better graphics card and more RAM, it's still able to keep up to the traffic, so to speak...


So I threw out Windows 10 on one PC - I've still got five operating systems to keep updated and secured and cleaned up, and that's plenty, really.  I could still weed out a couple and have lots. So when I tell you how Windows 10 compares to Windows 7 or 8, I'm not relying on a fuzzy memory of days gone by - I have all of them right here to examine in detail, and yes, I do use them. And I still think Windows 7 is really "the best Windows ever", in spite of the latest hype coming out of Redmond, Washington, 150 miles down the road from here. It still is the most user-friendly, with the biggest bang for the buck, even if it wasn't designed for the thumb-typing young & horny & desperate. When we did that one, we were thinking you wanted a system to do more than just get you laid!

No comments:

Post a Comment