Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Windows 10 goes public....

And I've had it since last November.... and I've also had this latest version for a couple of weeks, and didn't realize it's the same one the public gets today...

 Thank you to our Windows Insiders for helping us build Windows 10. If you’re a Windows Insider and running build 10240 – you already have the Windows 10 we are making available today. All you need to do is check Windows Update and make sure you have all the final updates. If you didn’t upgrade to the latest build as a Windows Insider, you can upgrade here. The Windows Insider Program will continue, and we will have more details to share soon about the next wave of the program.

At last, all our heckling of Mighty Microsoft is paying off handsomely, and we really are all on the same page with all this, and I think that's wonderful. I'm especially pleased that we're keeping the Feedback App in the program, because I've long believed that we could all benefit from sharing our thoughts and ideas for improving Windows, and I'm just delighted that Microsoft agrees with me.

2 comments:

  1. So it sounds like, in your humble opinion, we should upgrade... Even this early on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That all depends on your own personal comfort level with using
    a new operating system. I've been using it now for several months,
    and it hasn't been crashing on me, or losing data, or anything like
    that, and I've been doing all my regular computer tasks on it, with
    the one exception of its new browser intended to replace I.E. soon.
    That's still a "work-in-progress" but any other browser of your choice
    such as Firefox or Chrome or Opera works fine.

    The new "Edge" browser has some nice "eye candy" but I can't use it to
    edit the blog, and that's why I'm not happy with it yet. But it's not
    a problem, because other browsers work fine in Windows 10. In some of
    the earlier builds, Opera was crashing periodically, but that seems to
    be fixed now. Firefox and Chrome always have worked OK in it.

    But it's entirely up to you, Tom. I haven't really been risking anything,
    because I have the drive partitioned so that each system has its own section,
    so if anything had happened to Windows 10, I could always reboot into another
    operating system, and continue from there. There were a couple of builds
    a few months back that were a bit "iffy" but that's been corrected so you
    shouldn't have any real problems. And it runs on the same hardware that runs
    Windows 7 or 8, so that's not a problem. It will probably run better on a
    newer rig, but it does quite well on my 6 year old desktop. I should add,
    though, that I've added more RAM to it, and replaced its graphics card with
    one that has its own memory, so it works more like a newer one would.

    ReplyDelete