Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Windows 7: Still my favorite Windows ever


This Windows 7 is still my pick of the recent crop, and it's still more user-friendly than anything since. This makes me wonder why anyone would feel it necessary to "re-invent the wheel". I know why they're doing that, but I still think it's a mistake, really. I've always loved Windows 7, partly because it was the first Windows I helped to test, along with ten million others, and mistakenly or not, it still feels like I had a small part in its creation.

Everything that's come along since has been derived from or built upon the foundations used in creating Windows 7, and that's an indication right there of how really good it is. If I were making the decisions at Microsoft, and I wanted an operating system to convert into an ongoing, constantly evolving system that would "never be finished" this is the one I would have chosen, because it has features still unrivaled by successors.



And as you see in the above graphic, I'm not the only one who loves it. When Satya Nadella said recently that he wants us to love our Windows, many of us already do. It's just that we're loving a different version than he has in mind. And it's not easy to make a "first impression" the second or third time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment