Tuesday, August 4, 2015

"So how did you spend your afternoon, Ray?"

Perhaps this will give you a hint.....


This is a picture taken three weeks ago, while they were finishing the installing of the new state-of-the-art CT Scanner, which is now up and running, and they ran me through it this afternoon. The illuminated panel above the table shows your name and age and other information including the power level being used for your scanning. And while it is running you in and out of the tunnel, a voice is telling you when to take a deep breath and hold it, and when to breathe. The voice is a male voice sounding serious but bored. 

I suggested we should change it to a sexy female voice similar to Cortana in Windows 10. The cute little nurse asked, "Are you sure you're 82?" I replied,
"In the mornings, My Dear, there's absolutely no doubt!"  

And before I got into Radiology at LGH, I had already spent almost an hour down the street half a block, at a urologist's office next to the one where my cardiologist has his. I got poked and prodded while we had a nice chat about Windows 10 and its state of readiness for its public. And he decided we should take pictures of the inside of my bladder a week from this Thursday, and get some lab work done in the meantime.

It's like I said the other day - at my age, most of your social contacts are with medical people. And they all seem to be too young to be such highly-qualified experts. My urologist today had a whole wall covered with framed diplomas from local and distant medical schools and hospitals from here to Australia and back. And he looks like he's only been shaving for a couple of years.... 

3 comments:

  1. Gee Ray, sounds like you're having such great fun these days!!! It could almost make us jealous of you. NOT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Three years or so ago, when I spent a week in the Cardiac Ward, getting over pneumonia and getting other tests like an ultrasound of the heart, they had a nice old East Indian guy in a booth at the mouth of the driveway into their parking lot and the parking was two bucks an hour, or ten bucks a day.

    They've got rid of the booth we all preferred and the nice old guy has been replaced by a couple of ticket dispensers that charge $3.50 an hour, or $14.25 a day. The good news is, yesterday, while buying a ticket, I met that nice old guy, now wearing a hi-vis vest, and checking the cars for expired tickets. I told him we all liked it much better when he was in his booth, and we didn't need to worry about our tickets expiring, because we could settle all that with him when we left.

    So these days, we can't drive ourselves to the hospital if we're likely to be kept there for anything more than a few hours, because we'd come out to find our wheels had been towed for overdue parking. Isn't progress wonderful?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like progress (NOT) to me...

    ReplyDelete