Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Today, we're going to be in the dark again...

About a week ago, while restoring power following an outage for maintenance here, something went horribly wrong, and one building's emergency unit didn't switch over correctly, and the rest of us had to sit here in the dark until the fried parts were isolated, and then later they brought in a rental mobile generator for the building with the fried switching equipment.

So today, we're going to be without power from about 9:00 a.m. until about 4:00 p.m., unless they fry something else putting it back to normal. For some reason, this bugs me. Perhaps it's because from August 23rd, 1950 until March 31st, 1988, I worked in the electrical trade as a power station operator until those became redundant, and then as a maintenance electrician, and it disrupts  my tenuous magnanimity to discover that there's even yet a few fumbling incompetents in the business. As far as I know, nobody's repealed Ohm's Law, and if you're doing maintenance for a complex of six high-rises with a total of 1,200 suites, it helps a lot if you know what you're doing. 

Later:

I turned everything off before 9:00 a.m., went back to bed, and when I woke up at 11:00 a.m., the digital clock was flashing for a reset, and the power was back on. I called the gatehouse to find out what's happening, and was told they finished early, and I could start using things again.  

No comments:

Post a Comment