Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Après l'élection de Trudeau Le Jeune

This feels like a new beginning. I'm repeating myself, hopefully for effect and not from senility. Having experienced the original 'Trudeaumania' while a civil servant in Ottawa in the Sixties, I'm sensing that same kind of youthful enthusiasm. 

Quebec this time seems to have embraced its native son with appropriate enthusiasm, and I fervently hope we can convey to them our sincere desire for them to put aside nationalistic efforts, and join with us in being at home in the whole of Canada.

Years ago, while talk of separation was rampant, a young francophone couple came to the gate where I was working security at the waterfront one night, and asked if they might come in to view the city from our docks. Usually, I would have refused, for security reasons. But we got talking, and I asked if they had seen much of the country yet outside Quebec. The girl responded that this was their first trip, and they had not been encouraged to make it.

I asked, "Why limit yourselves to one province when the whole country is already yours?" They looked at me strangely for a moment, and I said, "Please come in, and drive down to the second set of docks where there's a nice view of downtown. And let me say 'Welcome to Vancouver'....". They came back a few minutes later, and stopped to thank me on their way out, saying "We will remember what you said about the whole country." I think more people from la belle province should visit Beautiful British Columbia.

No comments:

Post a Comment