Friday, October 9, 2015

Linux Mint: Moving images between computers...


I moved a folder of backgrounds images from the other PC, because this one did not have many, and did it the old-fashioned way, by email. Email is what we called it before Microsoft invented HomeGroup.  (Still works for me!)

And I was looking for a weather gadget to run in Linux, one that isn't from some European location, where they still think North America is "Unexplored Territory" and so I tried this one from Accuweather. It said it has a "dynamic size adjustment" and it automatically chooses a size for your website that isn't going to be unattractive. Really? I was thinking a nice little rectangular window with the forecast briefly shown in a small little window. What I got is enough to swallow half the page! I really hadn't intended to start competing with our Weather Network. They also once had a nice little gadget, but not now. Everything changes, and I don't mean the weather. I mean everything, whether it needs to or not. Something that worked fine yesterday gets all f-f-f-f-f-f-fluffed up today, until it's almost unrecognizable, and so overpowering you just say "To hell with it!" and throw it out to avoid the aggravation. Like I'm doing with Accuweather.

There! I feel better already! If I want to know if it's raining, I'll just open the window and stick my hand out, and see if it gets wet. The simple things in life are often the best ones. We're getting too good at complicating everything and complaining because we have. And that's especially true of computer operating systems. They aren't considered "good enough" these days unless you need a degree in computer science to get the damned things up and running without needing three more night school courses on bytes, kilobytes, megabytes, gigabytes, terrabytes, and re-partitioning hard-drives for fun and extra systems.

I'm so old, I can remember when the first computers consisted of taking off your shoes and socks to count to twenty..... Those were the days! And then along came Bill Gates, and we haven't had a moment's peace since!

No comments:

Post a Comment