Friday, November 13, 2015

Last evening, and this morning....

Last evening, about the time I went to the nearby mall and back, it was raining very heavily. "How heavily?" you ask. "Like a tall cow peeing on a flat rock - it was bouncing back up about a foot, and the windshield wipers on extra-fast were unable to keep up to it."


Traffic on the four-lane Trans Canada Highway (Highway One, here) came to a screeching halt on the sharp bend just at the west end of the bridge over our Capilano River here, just after I got home safely and unbent. These are the lights of emergency vehicles on that corner. I'm glad I got around that bend before the fenders hit the barricades. I can drift that corner on a nice day at about 60 mph, even though it's signed for much slower, but it's right in the neighborhood, and I get lots of practice. I did it one nice dry day on the old Kawasaki ZX-10 at almost 80 mph, but I used most of both lanes doing it, and luckily, I was alone on that corner at the time. I've always been a "show-off"... and that's why half the meat on the left cheek of my bum has been spread on a couple of the most interesting corners in Beautiful British Columbia. Luckily, it grew back, mostly. And I'd do all that again, too, I betcha, if I had the chance. We learn by doing....and doing.....and doing, until we get it right! And six bikes later, I think I got it right. So I hung up the helmet. They make a neat bird feeder, by the way...

Moving right along, what else is new? Well, this morning, surfing for something else, I stumbled over news about my old Seventies-something Aleister Crowley Thoth Tarot Deck. It said that the old originals are now worth some serious coin, and I even found a copy of a PDF explaining the meanings of all the cards....



This is what the backs of the deck look like..... heavy with ancient Egyptian symbolism....

And this is the last card in "Trumps" or the Major Arcana. There are actually twenty-two, because "The Fool" is numbered as zero. And getting back to that PDF of several many pages, ostensibly explaining the meanings of the cards, if you're into that sort of thing, then you already know that the only pertinent meaning of them is the one that you become aware of yourself as you study the images. The cards have to speak to you with their own meanings or you just aren't ready for this.

Lately, I prefer prayer and meditation, because I need all the forgiveness I can get. It's getting late outside, and the clock is ticking. And even though I'm a scared little kid inside this wrinkled old exterior, I still love to look at the moon and the stars on a clear night, and try to imagine where I came from and where I may be going. The ancients in old Egypt believed the star Sirius (Sothis, to them) represented both the soul of the goddess Isis, and the gateway to the Afterlife.


No comments:

Post a Comment