Sunday, February 21, 2016

A little more "This and That"....

Here's Mount Seymour on the eastern horizon, no relation to Jane I don't think. It's one of our three local ski hills, and far from the best. The best would be Cypress in West Vancouver, which, on two mountains, mimics Whistler/Blackcomb, but smaller. However, at the moment, it does have a deeper base than Whistler/Blackcomb, and it's only twenty minutes from home.


Just checking the Insider Hub page, and there's not a lot of action on there now, compared to a year ago, while we were frantically trying to get Win-10 together and ready for its big debut.


I have to confess I've been neglecting this lately, because there hasn't been nearly as much action since Win-10 went public, and I've tended to lose interest. I'm still not entirely convinced we ought to be trying to make Windows into something which is "all things for all people".  And I really wish Satya and the boys in the back room would make a deal to use the same system for updates as Linux Mint uses. I love the way Linux Mint's updates come in packages that are automatically handled by its Manager, and I also like the little icon in the Panel (Taskbar to you) showing if you're up to date. We could all benefit by putting these two systems together. Another thing I really like is the way it provides a virtual operating system on its installation setup, so that we can familiarize ourselves with it as it is actually installing itself. Linux Mint has a lot of nice features.


Here's that Update Manager in action, after I've clicked on the little shield icon in the Panel below it. Sometimes, I wish I knew how to write code. I'd love to try putting these two systems together. I think we'd have a real winner. I wish I could convince the folks in Redmond to try this.


And Linux Mint has wallpapers that are just as attractive as Windows, and we can also use our own, of course.



No comments:

Post a Comment