Friday, January 4, 2013

So, how is Windows 8 doing in sales?

You may recall that as I was testing it while it was in beta before its release, I said that it wasn't really any advantage to those of us using desktops, and that means the vast majority of computer users even today, in spite of what we hear about laptop sales.

So, how is Windows 8 doing in sales? This in PC World says that it is behind the sales figures for (Ugh!) Vista for a similar time period since retail release, and we all know what happened to Vista back when. It was reworked and cleaned up and improved a lot, and became the much better Windows 7. 

And Windows 7 is the core of Windows 8. They've added some frills and annoyances to it, but the reason it is so rock solid is because it is basically Windows 7 with add-ons. Add-ons that require additional steps to access your usual desktop and bypass those colorful but relatively annoying Apps tiles, without which we can do nicely. So what happened to my Windows 8 Pro? I made sure I had a copy of it on DVD, and then I wiped its partition on the drive and installed PC-BSD 9.0 in its place. 

Why? Because I'm not going to write Microsoft another four-page critique like I did on Vista to try to get something done about it. And I'm baffled by the way they can produce one operating system that's wonderful, and the next that isn't. Where are they going wrong? One mistake they're making is trying to tell us what we ought to like, rather than trying to improve on what we've got. Windows 7 is a wonderful operating system, and for desktop users, it's still your best bet. It has more of what you need and less of what you don't. Trust me - would I lie to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment