Thursday, June 13, 2013

My 'trashed' computer looks like this...


So, what's my problem, you ask.... and to which I'd answer sweetly, " My problem is that I'd like the whole thing to be working, and not just the PCBSD part of it."

The only thing that saved this partition with its PCBSD (unix) on it is the fact that the formatting on this part of the drive is entirely different to the usual kind used on the Windows part of the drive. Windows can't see this part of the drive and doesn't know it's there, luckily for me, otherwise this whole computer would be useless junk right now. But as it is, I can still get it to boot up into this section. And that's at least some consolation. And I might yet figure out how to get back onto that other part, too.

And while we're thinking about all that, this is the best reason I know of for having a dual-boot setup with something completely different, like this Unix derivative, PCBSD, which is FreeBSD with a nicer GUI front end, or so I'm told.
So if you're like me and love tinkering with the workings, something like this can save you from total and complete disaster when you screw up on it. And that's how Necessity became the mother of Invention, Kiddies....and this isn't sunburn, my face just naturally looks like this when I'm embarrassed. 


No comments:

Post a Comment