Friday, June 14, 2013

While screwing up other computer, I'm still learning...

I'm 'this close'  to getting that one back to normal,  but not quite - and I've tried various tricks to access the DOS section in CMOS through the remaining useable PCBSD system, which uses a whole other kind of formatting. I've tried a couple of times to use an 8GB memory stick, programmed as a bootable DOS installer,
and I have confirmed that the correct Acer BIOS for this model is now in there.
The only problem is, it won't let me into Win-7 on that first partition. On one try last night, everything went black, and up came a message in that quaint font used by the DOS system, saying 'No Boot Record Found - Insert System Disk."

That made me stop for coffee. Then I got playing with the Power button and the Delete key, and finally got it showing the boot choices of F1 or F2, for Win-7 and PCBSD, the first of which I can't get into. But it did reboot into PCBSD again, after which I heaved a big sigh of relief.

While researching what to do about all that, I've made a couple of discoveries.
Windows doesn't like all kinds of Flashing utilities for the BIOS. Older versions of those come with several cute little files that have to go along with its main '.ROM' file, which is the actual upgrade for your BIOS, because unlike newer ones, those weren't self-installing. Newer ones, however, are self-installing and all you have to do is point them in the right direction and stand well back, beyond the fallout zone, with your fingers crossed.

And if the BIOS in yours is a Phoenix-Award as in mine, then you already know that it peeps at you as it is starting up. That's not only friendly, but also a code signal. There's a whole list. That one short beep you hear as it is starting up means that it has completed its self-test and all is well in there. A long beep followed by two short ones means there's something wrong with your Video Card and you may need to replace it. A long beep with three shorts means the Video Card isn't installed right, or the memory on it is bad. Often, re-seating it in its socket fixes that, or else replacing it may be the only cure. If you hear a high-pitched beep followed by a low-pitched one, and it is repeating that, this indicates a CPU problem - perhaps overheating or a malfunction, and if the beep is only high-pitched and repeating, it means the CPU is overheating and could get fried soon, so turn off the machine while you figure out why. If you hear any other kinds of beep tones, those usually mean problems with the Memory, and replacing the RAM may be required. But check if it's just loose first. And on the subject of beeps, mine with the messed-up BIOS is still only making one short beep as it starts up, so there can't be too much wrong with it. It's not yelling for help yet anyway. I should have paid attention to that message the other day.

And these are some of the things I'm learning while messing up a perfectly good computer that I wish I'd left as it was. I'm still hoping there's some way to get
that inaccessible Windows section back on screen, but nothing I've tried so far has worked for me. And to complicate matters, I'm not that well-versed in the Unix system of PCBSD to be able to access it through that, if that's even possible - the PCBSD being a whole other format. There's an emulator program in it called 'Wine' but that doesn't mimic Windows well enough to let me do any real alterations in there. It can't even show me everything I'm trying to view.

2 comments:

  1. Ray...Ray...Ray...

    Didn't you ever hear someone say,"If its working...Don't try and fix it!"?

    hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Uncle Ron - but who listens?

    ReplyDelete