Wednesday, December 18, 2013

I get mail....

I don't often check my Hotmail, because I normally use another popular webmail, but today I looked at it and found an email from Microsoft, thanking me for trying out Windows 8.1 Enterprise.

In the first place, it wasn't the Enterprise version I tried, and in the second place, I wasn't impressed by the online download method of receiving it, because there's no way to make a hard copy of it for use when repairs are needed, or for when something unexpected happens, and maybe you need to do a complete re-install of it. What do you do then?

I tried Windows 8.1 for a couple of rather frustrating weeks, during which I was getting told by 'sfc /scannow' that it found corrupted files but was unable to repair all of them. I discovered the reason for that, but not until after I'd decided to dump it. Running the Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool using the command "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth" corrected the misinformation in the component store, and allowed Windows Resource Protection to run a successful scan of the integrity of the system files.

I wish that worked as easily in Windows 7. Speaking of which, Windows 7 on the other partition here shuts down and reboots much quicker than a recent install of Windows 8 Pro. The Windows 8 is taking nearly a minute sometimes to close its open programs before rebooting, in spite of the Shutdown.exe being set for
the force-close option and a time delay of five seconds. I've never had problems like that with Windows 7. I'm sure this isn't normal for Windows 8 either, but I don't know how to fix it, short of re-installing it again, and that's a lot of bother, restoring all the programs and files again.

No comments:

Post a Comment