Thursday, December 12, 2013

Writing other languages on US Keyboards

For a while now, I've been wondering how to add the correct accents to letters while writing foreign language phrases on a standard US Keyboard. Today, I found some helpful information...


The above is one method, but it seemed too cumbersome to me, so I didn't hunt for the rest of those four-digit codes, but instead found this next method:


This one (above) changes your keyboard to the international format, and then you can get the right results by typing first the accent, then the letter. The accent won't appear until you do the letter. Pablo tells us everything except how to type that acute accent, and that one isn't on the keyboard, at least not obviously. To do that one, use the quotation mark symbol along with your desired letter. And now, at last, I can write "I haven't a clue" in French with the proper punctuation, as in....

Je n'en ai pas la moindre idée.

Aren't computers fun? Whatever did we do without them - besides having a hell of a lot more time on our hands? Sacré mon Dieu!

Here's what I meant by ''cumbersome'' in that first illustration up top....

 
Who wants to memorize that whole list? And it doesn't make nice wallpaper... but if you're absolutely desperate, and don't want to switch to the international, this can do it, if you hit the right numbers. But I can't imagine doing much this way before becoming a babbling basket case.  

No comments:

Post a Comment