Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Windows 7 gets Service Pack 1

The SP1 for Windows 7 was released to the public on February 22, and most of us received it automatically on Windows Update.  However, some of us had a problem with it hanging while installing, and to resolve that sort of problem there's another hotfix available. It is called System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7, and you can download it manually from this Microsoft site.

One of my two computers got the SP1 without any problems from the usual update service, but the other one had a problem, and that's how I know about that special tool to fix it. While sorting out the problem, I got into Safe Mode, and then used the system file checker to check the files and drive. I could have re-installed Windows faster than it took that to finish. But it did have a happy ending, and in the process I discovered this new tool. 

No comments:

Post a Comment