Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Are computers frustrating? You bet your sweet bippy they are!

It's a good thing I've mellowed in my old age, or I might have thrown this computer right out my 16th floor window about two hours ago, when it decided not to start up properly.

I was using the Windows 7 section on it, and during startup the mouse cursor would not activate. I immediately punched 'Reboot', but the anti-virus was at that moment in the midst of updating itself. That resulted in an error in the anti-virus program, and I couldn't reset it, and it wouldn't time out or otherwise release that error message, which kept blocking any further updating of it.

So I had to completely remove the now-faulty anti-virus program, and then get a fresh version from its website, install that, register it, update it, and then try to get on with starting over on whatever I had planned to do in Windows 7. All of which wasted about an hour while I responded to questions such as "Why are you uninstalling this anti-virus?" or "Why don't you want to install Google Chrome along with the anti-virus?" 

At times like that, I really wish I could send a quick message back to the source of those questions, telling them in X-rated four-letter words exactly what I think of their stupid questions and their unwanted and uninvited add-ons to something I do want to install. I hate having to deal with those unwanted other programs that people these days think are a smart way of promoting their other products or programs. If I want Google Chrome, I know exactly where to find it. I use several other Google programs, but I do believe Google is too damned pushy when it comes to promoting other Google items. We don't need our arms twisted and it doesn't improve our receptiveness - it just annoys us. If, on the other hand, Google is trying to annoy us, then they are doing one hell of a fine job of it. 

2 comments:

  1. " then they are doing one hell of a fine job of it. "

    I couldn't agree with you any more on this one. Google can be a pain in the arse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Tommy -

    Thanks, Tom - I'm glad we agree!

    ReplyDelete