Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Today's Trivia....


Old folks have a habit of waking up much too early in the morning. Often, it isn't even daylight yet. We also have a habit of nodding off early in the evenings, mostly because at our age, we've already seen almost everything, and we get bored easily. But this is about waking up, so I'd better stick to the subject, for now, anyway...

I woke up this morning at about the crack of dawn, and as I usually do, I turned on the TV for something to look at, because mirrors scare me these days. There's this commercial blasting at me, saying "Own a piece of History!" with a picture of smiling Barack Obama above that line. I looked at that, and said to myself, "What the Hell? I am a piece of History!" And that's true - they completed the Empire State Building in New York City the year before I was born, and I'm just as old as the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, and two years older than the discovery of nuclear fission. Franklin Roosevelt's famous New Deal was first introduced the year after I was born. So when I say 'Hell, I am a piece of History!' I 'm not kidding. I'm not quite as old as the famous George Burns, but nobody is....

Today, according to Google, is St. Patrick's Day, when everybody's Irish, or pretends to be. I don't have to pretend, because my mother's whole clan are Irish, and at one time, she had something like fifty cousins still living over there. I can't imagine having fifty cousins, and I've always been more than a little suspicious of the Irish. That's because as far as I can tell, they survive on a mixture of primarily agriculture and bullshit, and being as old as I am, and being part Irish, I know a little bit about bullshit, and how it makes the grass grow green. I figure that's why it's so green in Ireland.


No comments:

Post a Comment