Thursday, February 11, 2010

Today's snow report looks like this -

Once again, it's raining and mild, and definitely Spring. The proof is everywhere.

And if anyone's wondering why I haven't been writing long and yappy posts lately about this or that or the other, it's because this week, I've been exploring the Cancer Center downtown. I had a preliminary examination on Monday and some blood tests, and then again yesterday I was there for an ultrasound which is required for mapping out the area where they will be implanting those tiny little radioactive 'seeds' to treat my prostate cancer. Fortunately for me, we all agree that it's better to be doing something rather than just waiting around for things to get worse. So in a few weeks, I'll be back there to become radioactive. I won't glow in the dark, but they tell me I might set off those new alarms at the Airport, if I go travelling.  They provide an identity card which explains all about it, in case I go through airport security.

 Actually, the radiation isn't all that much. These 'seeds' have a half-life of about 60 days, and fade out entirely within two years, after which, they just sit there and stay put. And now you know what's been keeping me off the internet this past few days. And before I close this off, I want to add that I'm really impressed with the folks at the Cancer Center here. They are very considerate, and very good at what they do, and they do it as quickly as they can. There isn't a lot of wasted time when you're in there.  And I should add that it is a much busier place than I expected it to be. Evidently, there's a lot of us with these same kinds of problems.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Ray...

    Sounds like you are doing what has to be done ...And you have doctors who you can talk with and can provide you with info and treatment for your problem ...I don't know if you believe in a higher being such as God or not..but if you do...Then I would put it in his hands...and go on with your life...

    I enjoy you blog and hope you will continue to post ...(for a long time)

    I came across a woman photographer who lives in Pennsylvania ...She is very talented and I love her work...give her a try...http://www.durhamtownship.com/

    Her name is Kathleen Connally...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Uncle Ron -

    Thanks for the kind words. I'm not heavily into organized religion, because I think it has too many fake prophets in it, and too many others
    who accept all denominations, but prefer the $20 bill. But I do believe that all of this has a Creator, and a plan, because it's all too carefully crafted to be a mere coincidence. And yes, I'm getting help from some very nice people who know their stuff, and I'm not worried about this at all.
    The odds are that I'm going to die of something one day, and this likely won't be it. Especially if the success rate for this brachytherapy is 93% like they say.

    Thanks for the link - I'll check it out. If you're into photography, there's also a good site belonging to Alfred Molon in Germany, with great pictures from his travels around the world. You can find it here.

    ReplyDelete