Friday, April 23, 2010

Progress report, cancer treatment -

Like a lot of things in life, I suppose, cancer's advanced publicity and the fear factor contribute to an aura which is very unpleasant indeed. Most of us are probably inclined to think of it in the same terms as a death sentence, and with today's modern medical science - and science is really the right word here - it's not quite as terrifying as many of us were led to believe. It's not exactly something anyone would rush out to get some of, but neither is it always the death sentence it once was.


It's now ten days since my brachytherapy procedure, during which radioactive pellets or 'seeds' were placed inside the prostate gland, to kill the cancerous spots in it, and friends have asked me how I'm doing now. I thought I'd write a bit on the blog about it, in case anyone else is interested in how these things go and what to expect from it. So really, how am I doing? Very well, thank you! As I've been explaining to my friends when asked about this, I know that different people may have different results, and perhaps I'm one of the lucky ones, but I haven't found this procedure to be nearly as messy nor as painful as the two prostate biopsies which preceded it several months ago. 

Those biopsies, using an ultrasound 'gun' with a needle-like snipping device for collecting the tiny little samples, is inserted into the anus, and it punctures the wall of the rectum as well as taking its 'bites' out of the prostate. During that, it isn't uncommon for the urethra, running though the middle of the prostate as it does, to also be damaged or nicked during the sampling, which usually involves taking eight samples - four on each side of the gland. So the end result of all that is that you're left bleeding from both the front and the rear during their normal emptying operations for several days afterward, until all those punctures heal over.

By contrast, these radioactive pellets are placed into the prostate using small hollow needles which go through a little grid-like guide, as directed by an ultrasound scanner placed inside the anus displaying the prostate on a screen. That screen also shows the placement grid, as well as indicating how far in to insert each needle, based on the locations of the cancerous material. Done by a skilled Radiation Oncologist, this needlework through the perineum is practically bloodless, and not even very painful, and it certainly isn't as bad, in my opinion, as a prostate biopsy. Afterward, there was no bleeding from it at all, except for small traces in the urine at the start of voidings. They give you a lot of cautionary tales beforehand, to prepare you for worst-case possibilities, but generally speaking, this isn't nearly as bad as its advanced publicity might lead you to believe. 

I'm doing much better than I thought I might, and I'm quite mobile, and not in any pain, and I would definitely recommend this procedure to anyone who has prostate cancer which is in its early stages, and who can therefore qualify for the procedure. It is a well-proven procedure with results comparable to or better than surgery, meaning its success rates in follow-up are in the range of between 93% and 96%, and you can't do much better than that. Putting that another way, my family doctor says "Well, now you can forget about dying from prostate cancer. We're going to have to find you something else to go from." I replied, "And I bet you're wondering why I don't come and see you more often, huh? Why don't you go ride your motorcycle to California with your pals, and let me enjoy my so-called life for a while?"

2 comments:

  1. Ha ha :-)
    thanks for sharing!
    Have a good weekend.

    ...be careful at night: the glow could frighten people!

    It´s always a pleasure sitting by the campfire with your company and listening to your stories!!

    Take care, Ray.

    (:-))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings, Monsieur!

    You know I'm getting old when all I'm yapping about are my medical problems and adventures in operating rooms. One thing that has taught me is that I was right not to become a doctor. Who wants to sit down between some old coot's upraised legs staring at his ass, while punching it full of holes with a lot of little needles? That takes more guts than I've got, for sure.

    When are you having your Spring Roundup for all that milk-producing wildlife that's usually standing around near your campfire? Does it look anything like in the movie 'City Slickers'?

    When I was a kid, Gene Autry and Roy Rogers and The Lone Ranger were very big at the Saturday matinees, and we all had fancy cap guns made to look like six-shooters. Those were the good old days, when men were men and the women were mostly dance-hall girls in smoky saloons. The kind you'd love to love, but wouldn't dream of taking home to mother.

    Enjoy your weekend, Monsieur.

    ReplyDelete