Friday, April 16, 2010

This and That, from 'Oldest Living Blogger' (that's me!)

There's always something going 'haywire' in life, isn't there? Just now, it's this style sheet for this blog page. Apparently, there's still a few untamed bugs in it.

(Dear Mr. Google: Please read!) - I'm trying to change the image behind the header text, and get it to resize to the same width as the text seems to insist on being, and it just won't do it. So in desperation, I settled for no image at all behind the header text - which isn't what I intended when I began that exercise in futility a half-hour ago! If it did it right when I upgraded to this format, then why can't it still do it right, and fit the text inside the image perimeter?


I had to go see my family doctor, the mild-mannered biker, yesterday for a renewal of a prescription originally from a cardiologist, and as usual, we got talking bikes, because I was at least partly responsible for getting him into them in the first place, many years ago now. He's still biking, and I'm not, these days.

He's preparing for a bike trip with friends from here to northern California in a few weeks, when the weather gets better. It sounds like a good run, and one that I might enjoy myself, if I still had a fast road bike. But at my age, that's probably not the greatest idea. I've had my turn, anyway. I'm probably lucky to still be alive after biking for about 25 years on some of the best-performing bikes of their day. Not, I might add, without leaving occasional slices of ass-cheeks on a couple of the more interesting corners in Beautiful British Columbia, and then limping away to tell about it. My theory being that any crash you can limp away from is a successful one.....even if the bike itself looks like a pancake in the shape of a motorcycle, or maybe a fold-up version of the original, and fits neatly in the back of a small truck for a trip to the shop.  Now you know why I usually had a new bike every spring during my wild days. 

Anyway, while we were talking at the doc's office yesterday, I told him about getting the radioactive implants for my prostate cancer, and he said, "Well, now you can forget about dying from that - we're going to have to find you something else to out on..." I fervently hope he doesn't rush into that, because I'm in no particular hurry at the moment. Especially now that I know
that booze, cigarettes, marriage, divorce, high blood pressure, prostate cancer, and lackanookie are all survivable with a little help from your friends!

1 comment:

  1. Another 'PS'....

    While yapping about brachytherapy for prostate cancer - not a great topic for dinner conversation - I should maybe clarify for the curious something about the 'pain & suffering' factors involved; and to be brief, it's like this:- I found that the implant procedure was a lot less painful and a lot less messy with regards bleeding than those two prostate biopsies that I had in previous months before we opted for this solution.

    Those biopsies left me bleeding from both the front and back exits
    and made normal evacuations unpleasant for several days after.

    This brachytherapy procedure left me virtually undamaged as far as the bleeding is concerned, and the only bleeding so far has been small traces in the urine. The area where the needles went in and out was clean and dry from right after the procedure, and there was nothing from that to even stain my underwear. Which, I must add, really surprised me, because I had expected something much worse, although I can't point to a real reason why - just my basic imagination and fear, I guess. Luckily, I worried for nothing. So in case you are considering this procedure yourself, I hope the above may help you relax and get on with it. The indoctrination you get prior to it will be far worse in most cases than the actual event, and you may find yourself wondering why you got so worried.
    It's not exactly fun, but it is quite survivable, and not messy.
    You won't need adult diapers or even a bandage if it's done right.

    ReplyDelete