Saturday, February 25, 2012

Sun and Shadows on the hills....



Today's strong winds cleared away the low clouds, giving us a look at this.


These panoramas were made with Microsoft Research's Image Composite Editor, or 'I.C.E.' for short, from this website and please note that this program requires Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Runtime, available from this website. It's best to get the Visual C++ and install it first, then install 'I.C.E.' .


All of this runs fine in Windows 8, and even though this Developer Preview is a very early version, it seems to be very solid, and obviously the folks in Redmond have put a lot of thought and hard work into it, and it shows. I'm anxiously awaiting the Consumer Preview (public beta) due out this coming week. I'm not sure how they will improve on this, but I'm sure they will think of something. But I hope it isn't too drastically modified. There's only one program I've tried in it so far which caused a problem, and that was a security program (rated #13) called ThreatFire, a 'zero-day behavioral detector of malware'. Windows 8 didn't like that one at all. It promptly coughed it out saying "Windows has encountered a  problem it couldn't recover from, and needs to restart." I gave it a quick test, and rebooted it, and it has been fine since. I threw out the ThreatFire, which has not had a major update any time recently. Other than that, Windows 8 has been virtually 'bulletproof', and I'm suitably impressed.  I've been using it for several days now, and that one glitch with the obsolete program has been its only one. Otherwise, it's been running just as reliably as Windows 7, which is perfect.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment