Friday, July 16, 2010

Question Everything: Internet Explorer pop-ups

Do you find that when you're starting to do something with I.E. 8 that it puts up annoying little pop-ups telling you that this or that feature is outside the protected zone and do you really want to allow it to connect to the web?

I got one too many of those today, so I went into Control Panel, to Programs and Features, and in the left margin, clicked on "Turn Windows features on or off" and then turned off Internet Explorer. After that, Windows does its thing to re- configure the system, and then you have to do a reboot. 

What started all that was that I was trying to download Google's 'Chrome' browser, and the download seemed to be getting blocked by something in Windows. Knowing how Microsoft loves to be the only duck in the pond, I figured maybe that was the problem, and as soon as I turned off I.E.8, that download for Google's Chrome browser came in properly. So now, my two browsers of choice are Firefox and Chrome. I.E.8 is back in its box out of the way. 


_______________________________________

2 comments:

  1. I also have Firefox installed. Do you find that it takes a long time to load, before displaying anything?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Tommy -

    That's not a problem that I've had,
    so my first question is what sort of hardware/operating system do you use?

    I have Windows 7 Home Premium on both these Acer PCs. One of these is a quad-core, the other a dual-core, and I got them because the newer operating systems use a lot more graphics (and need greater capacity for it) and they also are capable of multi-tasking, which is best done by a multi-core processor.

    But I don't think that's your problem, because my old single-core PC with XP Pro on it used to work fine (and quickly) with Firefox as its browser.

    Here's a web address for an article about cleaning out the useless 'junk' that builds up in your filing system over time:-

    http://www.personal-computer-tutor.com/deletingtempfiles.htm

    That was written for XP, and she hasn't yet done one for newer operating systems as far as I know, but the ideas in that may be helpful anyway. I've found that her special little search code doesn't work in Vista or Windows 7,
    but I try to do a couple of other things fairly regularly to clear out the junk files.

    I've made shortcuts to the Prefetch and Temp folders, and I go into them periodically, and click on "select all", and then hit "delete". The Prefetch will be automatically restored with its essential files on the next reboot, but over time, it will collect a lot of "one-offs" that you may never use again, but which clog up the works and slow you down. Similarly, in the Temp folder, a lot or maybe most of those files are empty, and just cause a delay while the system confirms all that every time it goes through a start or reboot, so
    dumping that periodically also helps.

    I've seen where that isn't recommended, but on the other hand, I haven't lost anything important yet - so it works for me.

    Another thing to try (if you're still reading this) is to get the
    little freebie program called
    Secunia PSI, which scans your system and warns you if any of your installed programs are not
    the latest versions. It then invites you to go to the supplier's site to update it.
    You can find it at:-

    http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/

    It runs in the background, and it works! Try it.

    And please let me know how you make out with all that... - R.

    ReplyDelete