Wednesday, December 21, 2011

It pays to shop early and shop around....


I went to our nearby Save On Foods early this morning, because it's always nice to shop when the store is almost empty (it opens at 6:00 a.m.) and I was telling Alicja there about my adventures yesterday finding the coconut palm sugar, and paying $5.99 for 180 grams at that fancy Whole Foods store in the village next to Park Royal's South Mall. 

Alicja said, "We have that! You should have come here!" And I said, "Darling, I'd love to get it here, but I phoned and your expert said 'we don't have it yet, but we've heard of it - sorry.' Then Alicja said, "I'm sure we have it - I've seen it here. Just wait a minute while I go look...."  She came back a minute or so later with this bag, slightly more than a pound, and said "Guess what this costs?" I replied, "In the States, my old pal tells me it's $3.48 a pound, but I haven't a clue what yours might be - all I know for sure is that at Whole Foods yesterday, I paid the equivalent of $15.00 a pound for it." Alicja smiled and said, "$5.79 for 475 grams - that's just over a pound." I said, "Sold, My Dear! and may I please return this Splenda to the shelf?" She said, "Yes, you may - you don't want Splenda anyway - it's artificial, and this is a natural product and much better for you."

I said, "Alicja, My Dear, it's a real pleasure doing business with you, and I'm going home and make a nice hot coffee with lots of this sugar in it, and thank you for your help finding it. I hope you have a really nice day."

I probably won't go back to that pricey Whole Foods ever again, now that I know where else to find the coconut sugar. 
 

1 comment:

  1. I would be very cautious about this product based on the cheap price.
    I have 2 daughters who have very tender digestive systems, so we have been buying mostly Organic and Natural Products for the last 3 or 4 years.
    Coconut Cane Sugar, we have found out is often diluted or "cut" with regular sugar or brown sugar to reduce the price.
    We buy only USDA certified Organic products, I have seen this package, How can it be packaged in a plant that also packages peanuts, dairy and whey and still be Organic and Natural ?
    If you have allergies, better read the small print on this Brand.

    ReplyDelete