Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Obama vs Romney, Round Two....

"Ring dat d'ere bell, Rastus - 'cause dis fight's all over but da shoutin' - ain't dat right, Sapphire?.....
USA Today
"An' who's dat whitey wid 'is mouth open wide? Looks like 'Dubya' in a better suit, but wid da same kinda I.Q. - twice 'is belt size, after lunch..."

Honestly, what the hell is this? Rowan & Martin? Laurel & Hardy? Amos & Andy? What are we trying to determine here? Are we looking for the country's Best Bullshitter? What's the object of this exercise? We already know that the present President is doing as well as anyone could hope for under the current circumstances, and that also-ran sure as hell wouldn't do any better, and I fervently hope our American cousins don't try to prove otherwise, because that would be a huge mistake, and a very expensive one at that. 

I like President Obama. He reminds me in some ways of Doug and Fred and Paul and David - four black brothers who lived up the street past our place when I was a kid. They were the only black kids in town, and I was lucky enough to have them for pals. Their Mom played the banjo and sang at the local Pentecostal Church, along with their Dad, who played guitar, and worked as a bricklayer and mason. Their Mom also made delicious Shoo Fly Pie, and I enjoyed it lots of times at their place. In addition to the four boys, there were
three girls, and all of those kids grew up to have good careers. One of the girls became the head nurse at a hospital, one of the boys became a minister,
another became a doctor, and a third one worked for our local law enforcement
as a Dispatcher. It was an honor and a pleasure to call them my friends.

I guess I've never really understood the racial problems in America, and I hoped when Barack Obama became President that this would mean America was finally growing up and maturing in its attitudes towards its various citizens. I can't help feeling that the Republicans would like to make sure that doesn't happen. I hope I'm wrong about that, but the signs point in that direction. So it's a good thing I'm not living south of the border in the U.S.A., because if I were, I'd be raising hell to make sure Romney got his ass kicked on November 6th.  

3 comments:

  1. "I guess I've never really understood the racial problems in America"

    Interesting Ray. We have some good friends in Manitoba that have a different opinion of this. They say that the Indians are the ones that need to be taken care of.

    Unfortunately, I think that if we're TOTALLY honest with ourselves, we all have a little in us. I'm not saying that I approve, just stating a fact.

    "Honestly, what the hell is this? Rowan & Martin? Laurel & Hardy? Amos & Andy?". Funny thing is, those same friends in Manitoba say exactly the same thing. They love watching our politics...

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Tommy -

    Don't you just love it when some smart-assed foreigner from outside the land of the free and the home of the brave sticks his oversized nose into your God-given rights to be different or wrong-headed or just plain backward in your politics, or begin confusing politics with religion?

    Please forgive me for not minding my own damned business, Tom, but my hobby is unspinning the spin-doctors, because I've never believed that 'bullshit baffles brains' and I frequently have trouble resisting the urge to say so.

    If I promise to hold my right hand over my heart and respectfully salute your flag, will you let me across the border without a passport and a letter from my Mom so I can visit my favorite watering hole in Bellingham, Washington? And speaking of our neighbors to the south, maybe you should check out http://www.kplu.org/ at Pacific Lutheran University in Tacoma for the latest from NPR and Jazz 24,
    World Class Jazz....there's a nice picture of Old Hef in his bathrobe on the website this morning with a poke at Romney's 'Binders full of women' boo-boo last night...so who has more fun than politician-watchers? Almost nobody!

    ReplyDelete
  3. About those Indians....

    There's only about three Indians in the whole country older than me right now, and none of them were anywhere close to being alive when our Buckskin Brothers' lands got invaded and captured by those crazy bastards from Europe while looking for China, India and Bunga-Bunga all those many long years ago.

    Every Buckskin, Eskimo and Metis including those who can't even spell 'aboriginal' are now making land claims, and forming new tribes, the most ridiculous of which I've heard contains only six suspicious-looking semi-whites who think they might be part Indian, and therefore entitled to pay no taxes and to file a land claim, preferably for an expensive section of downtown Toronto, so they can live happily ever after on the rental income from leasing it back to us. And did I mention that a couple of those six are called '98' and '99' because they're still too small for a buck?
    And you think you've got troubles!

    ReplyDelete