Monday, March 30, 2015

That Vancouver Transit vote...

If I didn't know better, I'd think I was someone important. I've had three calls from the Mayor's office, plus a gal reminding me about the issues and asking for my vote. I finally had to tell her that I simply couldn't vote. When she asked why not, as I hoped she would, I got a chance to tell her that all those phone calls and messages and mailings are no help if they don't send me a ballot. She very apologetically promised to get one into the mail right away.

It came today, with three - count 'em, three - envelopes within which to enclose it for sending back. We could fund more transit right there by using only one of those envelopes, I betcha.  That's all I need. just the ballot, with a check-mark in the "Yes" box, and an envelope - the prepaid one - to mail it back. And then wait for them to gobble up more gridlock space for biking lanes, while they tack on yet more taxes on the gasoline. I really wish they'd tax the booze more instead. I quit drinking decades ago, but I haven't quit driving yet...

But seriously, I did vote "yes" in favor of a tax increase of half a percentage point, to be used to improve the transit system. I hope they hire meter maids with shorter skirts and better legs. And put bells on those goddamned bikers. I wouldn't have said that ten years ago, while I was still biking, but now that I've quit, everyone else still doing it is a hazard to navigation. And they get all the best girl-watching parts of the road... What'll you bet the Mayor is sorry he talked me into voting? He ought to have left me to my afternoon naps.

No comments:

Post a Comment