Sunday, April 26, 2015

Sleeping with....

...the wireless headphones on. Maybe there's something to that story about the subliminal learning while we sleep....

I'd fallen asleep watching KCTS9 and one of its PBS shows. I awoke, as if in a dream, listening to a very detailed account of the days of Prohibition in the USA. Behind the narrative, they were playing some seemingly authentic Roaring Twenties jazz, featuring someone on one of those old whorehouse pianos where some of the world's best piano players developed their style and got famous.
(That piano-playing got me thinking of 'Candy' from Detroit, whom I met at a 
house of ill repute in Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan, which was being run by a Master Sergeant in the USAF from nearby Kincheloe Air Force Base. 'Candy' was the sweetest and cutest little black girl I've ever met... but that's another story!)

I've always been fascinated by those Roaring Twenties, and those Flappers, and that wonderful music and the wild dances. And I've never really understood why, because all that was in the decade preceding my arrival in 1932. That in turn raises the question of reincarnation, or 'recycling', and if we think about this, everything in Nature is recycled; vegetation, animals, planets, stars, even galaxies if we look in the right places. So if we're not part of that, then we are the one exception to the rule.

I've had a couple of interesting chats with an East Indian lady who is a charming neighbor of mine, about this subject. She says it's for sure there's reincarnation, and I tend to believe that myself. Both she and I have I.Q.s larger than our belt sizes, and good vision, and we've seen what's going on around us for a few decades now. And it all seems like a very logical progression. The space/time continuum is a very efficient place, and nothing's wasted.

2 comments:

  1. I was wondering what would happen if we go to sleep listening an entire opera or a concerto. Getting inside the music is always difficult and yet exciting. Check our perspective on it at www.piano-composer-teacher-london.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you - I'll have a look...

    Anitra's Dance from Grieg's Peer Gynt makes a great 'boogie-woogie' piece on piano. Check out YouTube for it.

    ReplyDelete