Monday, June 15, 2015

More Win-10 Questions....(Anybody making a list?)

In Windows 10, Build 10130, in both the 64-bit and 32-bit versions, there's a nasty pop-up showing up unexpectedly, and it reads as follows:-

This will cancel all transfers in progress.

Are you sure you want to cancel all transfers?

[ Yes ]     [ No ]

And if you click it to answer one of those answer boxes, you're likely to find all of your Desktop icons have disappeared, except for the one for Recycle Bin. And then you have to do a reboot to get your normal Desktop back with its icons showing. And the reboot has to be the old "Ctrl-Alt-Del" because that's the only one that works after the Desktop freezes up completely. Isn't this FUN ?

Does anyone know what that pop-up is referring to, and what can be done about it? How can I find out where it came from and who sent it? And most of all, how to get rid of it, and stop it from coming back?  Anyone? 

I've re-installed Windows 10 from a Microsoft ISO file transferred onto disc, and as far as I can tell, this problem came along with the original operating system files. I can't imagine why! I burnt the .iso to disc using ImgBurn, which I've used quite successfully for years without any problems like this, so I don't think the disc-burning program is the culprit. Any suggestions? 

When I first got this, and then recovered from it, I did a scan with each of Norton Power Eraser, Malwarebytes 'Chameleon', and SuperAntiSpyware, and none of those indicated any infection, so that's why I suspect it came with the system. 

10 comments:

  1. Did you figure it out Ray? I sometimes experience same message box when I alt+F4 in Windows Explorer in 64-bit Windows Home 10.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am having the same problem with Windows 10. Still cannot find a solution. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's probably due to OneDrive synching. Try disable/exit OneDrive and the pop up shall disappear. Worked for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I don't have OneDrive active. But just saw the message from Explorer when I sent a file to the recycling bin, then quickly closed the Explorer window I was working in. Strange :-/

    ReplyDelete
  5. A year on ...I have the ame message in Win 8.1 (64 bit) when I try select a file as a new Desktop icon, and find I can't now create an icon this way. Win 8.1 worked OK for many months then started this malarkey (and many more)inc. deleting both icon and referred file when an icon is clicsty and awkward)- using Rt click and "Open" avoids this (or using Taskbar icon, or selecting via the Classic StartX menu I use) but occasionally I have found one of these also deletes the icon and referenced exe file (eg. Winword.exe). Just now using left arrow to move in this text deletes backwards, which is not normal and recently after cpying Web text to Word a mouse click (or A ) just starts a delete forwrds action - and it has happened here as well (ie. for asny entry it seeems). I daren't try to correct the text!! These are 2 of a number of mysterious actions I've never experienced before. Although desperately slow my WinXP PC never shows such odd actions. Totally mystified too -- Derek

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you SURE you don't have an infection?
      Google for Symantec's Norton Power Eraser, and use that to do a scan of the system and see what it finds. In its Results it will show you anything suspicious it found, and you can select any entry, and get more info on that, if you follow its directions. It's a free program, and it does work. I use Win-8.1 Pro myself without any troubles, but I have three different security programs installed on it, and they keep it clean. Being an older version, you need some extra protection, and Microsoft's own 'Defender' just makes the security experts laugh, so I hope you're not depending on that. Google for "Top Ten Security Programs of 2018" and pick something that's got cutting edge technology in it. Malwarebytes Premium is a good one, and so is Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2018. (You get what you pay for...) And good luck with all that!

      Delete
  6. I've posted the above because it's getting rather long and I'm afraid of losing it (sic!) but these are a few of MANY very odd problems on my Win 8.1 PC (which I converted to SSD a few months ago and worked fine for a while. Other unique probs are;
    1. It will ONLY boot to SETUP (no change in the BIOS alters this) - again relatively recent. All these probs seem to have started more or less together, or in sequence.
    2. I get a Bitdefender error screen similar in style to the above transfer error whenever I Shut Down and have to cancel it to proceed.
    3. Sys Restore seems to proceed OK but always gives an error at end so I can't move back!
    4. I used Classic Start8 as well as X for a while and both worked fine for a few months - then Start8 deleted somehow (as inmy original post) and won't reinstall (says "won't work on this PC" but it did originally and for some time.
    5. Word and Excel now require "Accept" every time after reinstall (when lost as in original - click on d/op icon removed both icon and .exe files. Never had this before.
    6. Whenever I click earlier in text to edit, all characters after that point disappear/delete one by one, as happens in Word now.
    7. Title abr line is overwritten and greyed out (esp. messy in part screen)always (again a new phemomenon). <Omit abr.
    Mystery after mystery about which I haven't a clue! Could it be a bug/virus (none shown by Avast, Spybot or Wash and Go.)
    Clwyd Help!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Using Edit here just caused all comment to be deleted as in 6.
    PC is an Acer XC605 with Win 8.1, 2Tb HDD which I transferrd to 240GB Kingston SSD using PCMover; worked fine for minths until this set of probs began.
    8. I lost Libre Office5 by clicking on D/top. Whenever I reinstall i get an error saying I must stop LO3.4 startup section to continue, but can't find how to do this.

    ReplyDelete