Sunday, June 28, 2015

Security: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

While I was getting an update to Shockwave Player just now, I was offered along with it a version of Symantec's 'Norton Security Scan'. Normally, I wouldn't accept anything like this, because it falls into the category of bloatware, but I thought, "What the hell? Let's see if it's any good!" Here it is:-


Nice bright visuals, right? Confidence-building presentation, right? Results are  reassuring, right? - WRONG!!!

I have three other security programs on here, not just the one it found! And I do have Web Protection built into the latest Firefox Browser and its plug-ins! And I have 'Better Privacy' managing the 'LSOs' or "Supercookies" that get secretly loaded on here unannounced.

Now, please excuse me for a moment, while I go into Control Panel and dump this Norton stuff. Years ago, while I was still a "newbie" at this, and was struggling with Windows 98SE, and had Norton Security on it, it experienced yet another 'crash', and as was my habit back then, I picked up the phone to call Bob at my ISP to ask what to do. And Bob, being the super-helpful guy he is, asked me "What kind of security program are you using?" When I replied, "Norton, why?" Bob said "Dump it! It causes a lot more problems than it solves! Get something like 'AVG' that actually provides some protection. Install that, and then if you're still having problems, call me back..."

Apparently, Symantec's 'Norton' hasn't changed a whole bunch since then....

Added later (Monday, 29 June, 5:07 A.M.)

One of those other security programs Norton totally missed on here is the current free version of Bitdefender Antivirus, which happens to be one of the top-rated ones this year. I checked before I got it. And that's why I have it, because it is one of the top-rated ones this year. And that brings me to another helpful hint: You shouldn't be sticking with your same old antivirus program, just because it worked fine five years ago! Everything evolves! Very quickly, in the case of viruses, and malware generally. And as my first father-in-law was fond of saying, "Get the best you can afford, because the best in none too good!" - Every year, at least once, I do a Google Search for "The Top Ten  Security Programs of 20XX" and I see if mine is in that list, preferably in the top five. If not, I try something new. So should you! And before you say "I can't afford it!" may I please point out that today's best free antivirus programs are just as good as yesterday's top purchased ones. They catch just as many "bad guys" and they give you just as good protection, and they don't upset the budget. So please think about that. Today's above-average "freebies" are tomorrow's costly security suites. So surf the first wave, not the last ones. 

No comments:

Post a Comment