Friday, June 26, 2015

The Good Professor Susskind: This nice old guy fascinates me!


Just now, (actually half an hour ago!) I began checking his lectures for one to put on here, and I got sampling this one, and almost couldn't tear myself away! I really love the way he does all this! And I'm not being facetious!

One quick comment in passing: When he speaks of "elementary particles" it makes me flinch, because I don't believe there are such things as "elementary" particles. I prefer to believe it's rather an infinite space/time continuum, (because: it takes something to make something! We can't combine two "nothings" into a "something", no matter how small or big) but otherwise, I'd love to sit at the master's feet and quietly (or not so quietly, knowing me!) pay attention to him. And who knows? I might just possibly learn something.....

Like, for example, recently, some self-important know-it-all ( I think Republican) said: "The natural universe has existed for billions of years quite happily without anyone worrying about whether or not there's a God, so why should we worry about that now?" - Or words (insufficiently thought-through words) to that effect. Prompting me to immediately wonder "What if everything we see "out there" along with everything we see "in here" collectively comprises the actual physical body of our omnipotent, self-regenerating, everlasting God - what then?" And are we willing to gamble that isn't so? Will Rogers said, "It's not the things we don't know that get us into trouble; it's the things we do know that ain't so!" And Will, wherever you are, may God continue to love you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment