Monday, June 22, 2015

Today's Assignment, should you choose to accept it....


Psssst!! Wanna get the cobwebs and dust shook up in the old gray matter? Just have a peek at this....



This isn't terribly well-organized, but then physical reality has its similarities to our well-known "dysfunctional families" in the sense that things aren't always as they appear......



It's sort of like this.... I'm standing on an ocean's beach, in a driving rain, with the wind roaring at near hurricane force, the rain coming at me nearly horizontally, the waves thirty feet high, crashing on the sand before me, sounding like a nearby freight train, creating sheets of froth and foam several inches deep around my boots, and I'm both excited and frightened at the same time. I see and hear all this, but I'm snug and warm inside my double-layered rain gear, as I lean forward into that strong wind to maintain my balance, and I watch huge slabs of that froth and foam, inches deep, drift across the wet sand around me, like slabs of thick ice on a wintry lake during a storm, and I'm marveling at the magnificence and the force of Nature, when suddenly, most unexpectedly, seemingly out of nowhere arrives a flock of about three dozen cute and tiny little birds, landing just a few feet away from where I'm standing, and seemingly unconcerned about everything that's happening here just now, they chirp, and dart around, pecking at things thrown up out of that broiling ocean nearly at our feet. And after a few brief minutes, they arise and are gone, leaving me with an experience I'll never forget...

We can't make a "something" by combining two "nothings", and as someone once said, "All is but a dream in the mind of Allah..." If we could see, hear, and watch all these interactions combining together to form our "physical reality" it would very probably scare the Hell out of us. Which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. Confucius said: "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance."  Wonder and curiosity are the roots of knowledge. Enjoy your day!

Later.....

Today's 'Question Everything': "How do those W+ and W- and Z Bosons compare with the Higgs Boson?" (i.e., What are their similarities or differences? In twenty-five words or less, please! May we?) 


2 comments:

  1. "Confucius said: "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." "

    You got that right Ray... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you too much, Tom.....May I consider myself told off? Please?

    ReplyDelete