Thursday, October 15, 2015

More fun with Linux Mint....

After I started Linux this morning, I decided to add a second browser, because it's always nice to have more than one, for looking up things while using the first.

So I looked in the Software Manager for browsers, and chose a light-weight, simplified one called "Midori" and installed it. As soon as I opened it, up came an error message saying a certain file from Ubuntu couldn't be opened, because it wasn't installed. "That's odd!" I thought. Then the "homework" began.

Checking a couple of sites with information on such problems, I learned that there's a cure, involving searching for and finding that missing file, which seemed rather involved. Then, I found more information which said that the missing file was actually the default opening page for the browser, and someone had apparently forgot to include it in the package. Reading more, I learned that the simple cure for this was to just select another home page, such as Google. And after about an hour of such research, I got it fixed very nicely. I wondered why we weren't told about the "change your home page" idea right up front. Perhaps an hour's search sharpens the mind, and helps us remember the cure.

No comments:

Post a Comment