Saturday, October 17, 2015

Our Canadian election on Monday

This is a partial reprint of something I put on Facebook today in response to a news item there telling of polls lately indicating the Liberals are looking like the winners in our upcoming election. As mentioned there, I've been into the American political scene lately, so perhaps should say something about our own. So this is about the Liberals and their leader, Justin Trudeau. And me.

I was a "Snivel Servant" with a good job in Ottawa when Justin's father Pierre first got elected in that wave of "Trudeaumania" that swept the country in 1968. One of his first acts was to order all of us civil servants to become functionally bilingual as soon as possible, and to give us a little incentive, our earnings were "red-circled" (i.e. frozen) until such time as we could show ourselves to be bilingual.

I was 36 that year, and that's not the age one should begin studying a second language, and the branch of government I worked in was one providing the electrical facilities in the far north, where the bulk of our customers and some of our employees were aboriginals, not people speaking French. So I said "Adieu" to Ottawa, and moved to the West Coast, to work for B.C. Hydro instead.

But in fairness to Justin's father, he did do a lot of good for the country, and it wasn't his fault that I didn't want to learn French while speaking to my faithful Eskimo companions up north. And I would really like to see if Justin can follow in his dad's footsteps, and once more restore "The Just Society". So I'm voting Liberal because, as President Obama said before his own first election, "It's time for a change!" I want to see what Justin can do. I think it's his turn. And I'm tired of "Hairspray" Harper.

No comments:

Post a Comment