Thursday, October 7, 2010

My latest kitchen experiment....


"Waste not, want not!" my old Granny used to say. In that theme, here's my latest improvisation in the kitchen.  I started with two part-packages of left-over pastas from those two-servings size boxes of Kraft Dinner. I usually only cook half that pasta, because I like lots of cheese sauce on it, and the whole package dilutes the cheese too much. The other approach is to buy twice as many packages, and use the cheese mix from half of them to double up on the other half of them. But I digress - sorry about that - After cooking and straining the pasta (shells and macaroni) then I added a large can of 'Habitant' Pea Soup with Ham, a generous gob or two of margarine, and a cup or so of frozen baby green peas.  Sprinkle this with a generous sprinkle of roasted garlic powder, stirring steadily, so it doesn't stick to the bottom, and give it a minute or so of rolling boil.

I didn't add the baby green peas until the very end, and they didn't cook long enough to do more than thaw out well and restore their body heat. They add a little something extra to it, and also make it more colorful.  I haven't thought of a name for this yet, except, "Ummm! Good!"

____________________________________________________________

2 comments:

  1. You could call it "Pasta and Pea Primavera Soup"...I'll bet it is good...
    I love pea soup ...Habitant must be a Canadian Manufacturer...I looked it up and there are several recipes using Habitant Pea soup in them...

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Uncle Ron...

    Yes, Habitant is a Canadian brand, from Montreal, Quebec, and the can says "Since 1918". There's two kinds - plain and with smoked ham. I like the one with the smoked ham in it.

    If you wanted to write to their 'snail-mail' address for recipes, it's:-
    The Habitant Soup Company,
    P.O. Box 112,
    Station Jean-Talon,
    Montreal, Quebec,
    H1S 2Z1

    It's delicious by itself or as a base for adding things into it. Things like chopped Black Forest Ham, or diced tomatoes, or whatever makes you giggle... :)

    ReplyDelete