Friday, October 1, 2010

Meanwhile, at the Planetarium.....


Oops! I mean Stellarium, the open source, fully-functional, you-run-the-show planetarium on your own computer! Here's Andromeda, one of our neighbors. "So what?" you ask - So may I just say that this image began as an insignificant little dot on my screen, until I zoomed in on it, to reveal it in its true splendor - and you can too! Just click here to go to its home page.

If you're anything like me, you'll have a lot of fun with this program. One of its neat tricks is that you can select a planet, then use a keyboard shortcut to go there, at which point it becomes your 'home base' for viewing whatever's around. 


Here we are on Mars, looking back toward Earth, while wishing we had a cold beer. But you get the picture by now, I'm sure. This program is a real winner. It's like Google Earth, but for the sky and the astronaut in all of us.  Did I mention it's a freebie? 

________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment