Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Complaint of The Week !


If my readers are reluctant to click on the word 'Comments' below, and then use the little box provided for those, then perhaps I ought to do a little rant after all here myself. I got onto this aggravation the other day when I noticed in the renovations mess at the nearby supermarket a new set of eight checkouts, all designed for self-serve checking out of your own purchases.

Speaking to a couple of the gals who work there, I learned that if management chooses to put one of the staff in charge of those 8 checkouts, it would only be the one staff member, not one for each of the checkouts. I was also told that management says these will not lead to any cuts in normal staff. I don't believe that for a second - I'm 78 now, and I've already heard, smelled and sometimes tasted every variety of bullshit, pure and otherwise, known to man or beast on this overpopulated warlike little planet, including statements like that which usually precede the handing out of pink slips amid gnashing of teeth, depression and often cussing. Management was also reported to have said that these self-serve checkouts were meant just for the computer-literate younger set who didn't want to wait for personal service. I found that one rather insulting, because I'm very computer literate myself, and I'm no pimply youngster, but I do get impatient when the bullshit gets up around my knees, or some bastard takes me for a retarded Mongoloid idiot and tries to feed me what the birds eat.

More recently, I went shopping at Safeway in West Vancouver, and had a little chat there with one of the gals who has been there for quite a long time about all this self-serve stuff. She gave me the Safeway perspective on that, and told me that it really is an industry trend, although it remains to be seen if it's a good one or not. She said Safeway, like the now-renovating Save On Foods in North Vancouver, does have these new checkouts in some stores, but she quickly added that they wouldn't likely put any into the store in West Van (where we were) because, as she said, "Our clientele simply wouldn't stand for it." I replied, "And as part of that clientele, I heartily endorse that point of view, because I'll be damned if I'm going to do my own checkouts to save the store the cost of a staff member, and still pay them the full prices they expect for the merchandise. There's a difference between being a little crazy and being just plain stupid." She said, "That's pretty-much how most of us feel about it too - enjoy your day!"

_________________________________________________________

7 comments:

  1. I'm with you Ray, except for one tiny little thing... When I get behind someone in the checkout line that 1) can't seem to get the items onto the belt all by themselves, 2) has to count change (coins) after everything has been checked out and 3) couldn't be bothered to put her own dam things into the bags to take home. I mean you stand there for EVER it seems.

    But, on the other side of this... I recently went to the store to get a 6 pack of beer and being in a rush decided to go through the self checkout. Boy, was that a mistake! You see, beer pops up a signal to the staff that they have to go and check to see if the person making the purchase (me) is old enough to buy it. Again, I stand there waiting for some pimply faced kid to come and look at my grey hair and push "OK"..

    This world is getting very complicated.. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Tommy -
    I almost started a riot in the express checkout line one day when
    I found myself behind an Iranian lady with a whole buggy full of stuff in our line that plainly said in big letters: "15 Items or Less". As she started to pile high the belt, I said, "What's the matter with you? The number 15 doesn't translate into Farsi, or what the hell is your problem?"

    True to form, she immediately played the 'discrimination' card, and said, "You can't talk to me like that - it's against the law!"
    I replied, "I was born in this country, and I know all about the law - it's also against the law to
    shoot you goddamned foreigners, so
    don't start telling me the law or
    I'll put you in a big wooden box addressed to the Ayatollah in Teheran.

    She said "I could have you arrested for talking to me like that!" I said, "You're absolutely right, Lady, but first you have to live long enough to find a cop, and
    you can't do by blocking the checkout line, so move your ass!"

    Half the listeners wanted to cheer,
    and the others couldn't believe that a mild-mannered Canadian my age would talk like that to one of our 'new Canadians' from offshore.
    The lady with the month's supply of groceries was helped out by three clerks in an effort to get the line moving and avoid possible bloodshed. And peace returned to the valley.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, What a great story Ray....

    Kind of puts my mild sence of frustration and agrivation to shame. I am humbled in your presence... :-)

    And I won't be getting into the wrong line in Vancouver (north, south, east OR West).

    ReplyDelete
  4. You both remember the lady who pushed her heavily laden cart into the line which plainly said "12 items of less"...when she got to the front...the clerk asked her politely,"which 12 items do you want me to check?"

    Applause from the ones behind her...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ron, ya I do remember that one. Can't remember from where (oops, senior moment), but at least I do remember it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. And while we're talking checkouts, there was something on the news the
    other day about those reusable bags we've been encouraged to get, saying they're made in China and contain a lot of lead which will be polluting the environment when they are tossed out. They didn't mention this, but I also suspect those reusable bags are not nearly as sanitary as the plastic ones we all know and love.

    Plastic bags, of course, have lots of uses after the groceries are at home and put away. They make great liners for the container that catches our wet garbage in the kitchen. They also work for any other waste basket their size. And they're great for storing things in a closet, because you can hang them up anywhere. (Too bad mothers-in-law don't come with handles!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, guys!

    When I came to our little "sleepy town" of 50K, and saw self-check aisles, I immediately steered away from them! To me, it means LESS JOBS for the local workers which is NOT what is needed! So, yes...it will be interesting to see what ends up happening at these grocery stores that are putting them in.

    ReplyDelete