Monday, November 8, 2010

Not about UFOs - maybe about DKIs.....


This picture isn't of this morning's conditions, but it is so much the same, I'm using it anyway - it is from yesterday morning early - before it went bad again. If we don't like the weather around here, we simply wait for half an hour. Sure as God made little green apples before big ones, some different stuff will come flying over the hills.

Google here still hasn't fixed the text formatting for these new-style blog templates - and I'm still cussing as I try to outsmart the cursor as it flies off in wrong directions when I try to get it to come down one line and start at the left end of it, like any other text editor might. Was this designed in India perhaps? Where they think they know English, but they're sadly mistaken? I mention that in passing only because my phone just rang, at 8:30 a.m., and the caller was one of those DKIs from a call center somewhere, I'm guessing, in the Punjab or some other part of Bunga-Bunga about two generations removed from what's happening on this side of the world at shortly after the crack of dawn on a Monday morning when I'm not in the mood to argue with some jabbering semi-literate disembodied voice on the phone!

And I hear you asking, "What's a 'DKI', Ray?" - so I'll tell you. I got this straight from one of our own proudly North American Indians - 'buckskins' as we affectionately call them - whose name is Sandy Bull, not to be confused with 'Sitting Bull', 'Standing Bull' nor 'Shooting Bull'....and my pal Sandy said: "Whazaamatta wid youze? Born stupid and been losing ground ever since, or what? Everybody in the tribe knows that a 'DKI' is a 'Different Kinda Indian' - not to be confused with us Good Guys!"  Sandy almost always was accompanied by his helper and sidekick, Norman, who was almost-never called by his name. When I first met them, I asked Sandy who his friend was, and Sandy replied, "That's '99'!" I replied, "Stop kidding around and just tell me his name please." Sandy forced himself to be serious  for a moment, and said, "His name's Norman, but we all call him '99' because he's too short to make a full buck."

I turned to Norman and said, "Norman, can I hold this guy for you while you bite him on the ankle or kick him in the kneecap or something?" Norman said, "Nah! but thanks anyway - I'm used to it by now and I just consider where it comes from. He's still trying to adjust to the fact that when you Whiteys first showed up, we had the land, and you had the Bibles, and now we have the Bibles and you have the land." I said, "Not me! I don't own a nickel's worth of it. But let me buy you a coffee anyway...."

_______________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment