Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Last sunset as a 77-year-old.....


Told ya it was gonna be a nice day! The Weather Gods must have agreed, because it was.

If this looks slightly out-of-focus to you, that's because (A) there's thin clouds up there, and (B) it was taken on the Pentax X70 at 24X optical zoom, which means there's a lot of noise in it, and I do mean a lot. I haven't found any totally effective removal program for that noise, including the one called 'Neat Image' which brags that it's the best there is.  To them, I would say what my first father-in-law used to say about such things: "You should try to get the best there is, because the best is usually none too good." And to the folks at Neat Image, may I simply say, "Keep up the fair work - you'll get it right eventually we all fervently hope."

And Dear Mr. Google - you poor misguided code-writer you - please try harder to fix the formatting here for text so that when I reach the end of a line, or wish to reach the end of a line, or want to reach the end of a line, I can actually do so by hitting the 'Enter' key and having the cursor move DOWN one line - not up several, or freeze where it is, or require itself to be forced into moving by means of a combination of the down arrow + Enter key. Today's Question Everything has got to be: "What the hell were you thinking when you got to this part of the design process?" Or did you even get that far? Did you quit early for lunch and forget to finish this afterward, or what? Will you ever re-visit this project and actually finish the goddamned thing? If so, prove it! - Go Ahead, - Surprise me!

_____________________________________________________

5 comments:

  1. Good morning Ray. Ok, now your challenge is to take the opposite picture. I mean, go up onto that mountain peak and take a picture of what you see.. :-)

    Happy B'day..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday you old fart...I hope you enjoy the day...Thanks for your interest into my well being...

    You should go out to some nice restaurant and have a nice dinner and celebrate...and be sure to get the staff to sing Happy Birthday to you...

    hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Tommy -

    I'm a little too old and too breathless for climbing those hills,
    but I can drive to a look-out nearby
    and get you a picture which is almost the same as the one you have in mind - and if you look back to my
    post of Friday, October 29th here, you will see the whole thing....
    If we were up on that one you mention we wouldn't see as much detail as we do in the one already on here, because we'd be four and a half or five miles further away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Uncle Ron -

    After 78 Remembrance Day/Veterans Day birthdays, I have this down to a set routine: No TV pieces about our valiant military, vets parades, how scarce vets are becoming, how poppy sales are going ( just fine if we're talking growing them in Afghanistan!)or the eleventh-hour silence and all that - Been there and done that 78 times, Kiddies, and I'm here to tell you it makes for a shitty birthday! So I stay home, play some happy music on my nice old Technics sound system (Roaring 20s jazz is one of my favorites) and try to pretend that God's in His Heaven and all's well with the world, and there aren't all those wars going on and on and on. It doesn't quite work for me, but I keep trying anyway.

    I don't eat out much any more, because I haven't worn my famous
    Pepsodent Smile for 20 years now, and couldn't if I wanted to at this point, and so eating out can
    be an embarrassing exercise sometimes, and I prefer to stay home and burn something for myself
    instead of paying others to do it.

    With all those birthdays, I've had lots of time to think about why mine isn't very happy usually, and one day I may do a blog about the futility of wars and killing each other. But not just now....

    ReplyDelete